Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rural to Urban

In the 1800's, the world was centered around rural realities; however, in the 21st century, the world is centered around urban culture.  This can be shown by examining the society found in Jane Austin's Emma, and also by analyzing the society we face today.  The pre-industrial culture found in Emma focuses on a small-town rural lifestyle, while culture today is centered around urban cities. Technological advancements have contributed significantly to the shift toward an urban way of life.

In Jane Austen's novel, Emma's life was centered about a few mile radius around her house.  Her day-to-day acquaintances all live within walking distance, or a distance that can be traveled by horse and carriage .  Social events in this time included visits to close friends and dinner parties, both of which are found in Emma.  Not only was Emma's social life centered around her house, her education took place in her house too. Emma's instruction consisted not of formal schooling, but instead, a close friend taught her in the comfort of her home.   This sort of lifestyle was common in that time period due to technological constraints.  Without the convenience of cars or local trains, traveling large distances was not only difficult but nearly impossible for a large portion of the population.

Since the 19th century, technology has contributed to the shift from a rural to an urban lifestyle.  Improved transportation, quicker and easier communication, and the spread of knowledge has facilitated the growth of cities across the world.  An urban lifestyle is desired in the 21st century because of the availability of a variety of  professions, the resources located in a city, and amount of people that live in a city.  After I graduate from college, I hope that I will live and work either in or near a city. It seems as though Emma simply desires to live in the countryside forever, and that could not be further away from my goals in life. Technology has changed the aspirations of many in the past two centuries.

In the 200 years that have passed since Emma Woodhouses's time, education has changed significantly. Instead of being educated at home, the majority of people leave their houses to become educated. In the 21st century, from the time a person is about five years old, he leaves his house to attend a place of education. Yes, there still are children who are homeschooled, but the majority of children are educated in public and private schools across the country. I am proof of this shift from rural to urban movement.  My parents live in a suburb of Atlanta, and after I completed high school, I left my semi-urban lifestyle to be educated at a major university  in one of the largest cities in America. Unlike Emma, whose life is almost completely centered around a rural reality, my life is centered around an urban reality.

I can't fathom spending the majority of my life within in a two mile radius. I enjoy the freedom of having the opportunity of being able to travel virtually anywhere in the world. I am thankful for the technological advancements that have allowed me to do so, and I enjoy my urban lifestyle.   


Austen, Jane. Emma. New York: Penguin. 1815. Print.

Andrew Corbitt

2 comments:

  1. Overall I felt like this way was a well written essay. The only mechanical problem I have with this essay is the final paragraph seems out of place with the rest of the essay. It jumps from comparing the two times to giving your personal preference. While this subject matter is certainly fine, it is an awkward transition at best and a tangential thought at worst. It may also seem out of place because the essay does not lead me to wonder about your opinion. If the opening paragraph had offered a preference as well, this would have seemed more reasonable. Still, this essay does a good job of focusing on a major point and influencing the reader to that point.

    Eric Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Eric about the last paragraph, but otherwise it was a really interesting topic! I never really thought of it that way. It makes me wonder how that would affect her point of view of the world. Do you think it would make her more close minded? Do you think someone like Emma could exist in our time period? (by that I mean someone with her point of view of the world).

    Katie Delgado

    ReplyDelete